Saturday, December 9, 2006

Ukraine Village Life Greek Catholic Liturgy

Ukraine Village Life Greek Catholic Liturgy An Intimate view into Western Ukraine Village Life. I first came to Bystiv in 1999 & met my relatives it was a life changing experience. I returned many times but never have invited to church Till 2004 I become good friend with Ihor he is the Greek Catholic Priest for Village. He has 3 churches in surrounding Villages. What I filmed is very rarely saw be westerns I thank Ihor for Inviting me into this world. I was brought up Catholic in USA but never seen anything quite like a Mass Liturgy is done. I asked why is his back to the people in church. He explained the priest like a leader / conduit in worship. Unlike the Catholic church where priests face you as if you where giving him the worship. Essentially I am told Greek Catholic & Ukraine Orthodox Liturgy look the same. This simple explanation made sense to me I liked that idea much The Church is central to Village there are two roads coming out form church like spoke Bystiv formed in 1251 AD the church is said to be close to 500 years old During Communism Village worshiped din secret with no priest they held there faith

No comments: